Ta-Da! Here is the new tote that I have been working on. This is my first bag and the first time that I have worked with fusible and sew-in interfacing. It's also the first time that I have worked with canvas. For the most part it went together very easily!
The only thing that I am not happy with are the straps. I need to find a better "inside" material that will "stand the test of time".
It all started when I found this great canvas in my fabric stash. I made a sketch and then a measured drawing.
Pictured are the two fabrics, my drawing and some fusible interfacing.
I was not happy with how stiff the fusible interfacing was so I ended up going back to the store to pick up some sew-in interfacing.
Here is the inside of the bag lined in red poly. I had originally wanted to have an inside zipper pocket but my zippers have been swallowed up by the invisible monster that lives in my sewing room. I also added a covered piece of board (scavenged from one of my husbands old gym bags) to stiffen the bottom.
I think that I did an OK job at matching at the seam.
I used a lot of top stitching.
I specifically wanted a bag that did not have a seam in the bottom.
Here is a closeup of the mitered corner.
If you don't think that you could figure out how to make a tote by yourself, there are plenty of patterns that you could purchase. They are complete with materials list and illustrations.
If you are adventurous, like me, check out the tutorials on youtube.com and have a great time designing your own one of a kind bag.
Share your project pictures with a link in the comments section. I'd love to see what you have made!