July 22, 2016

90s Inspired Skirt

90s Inspired Pinstriped Skirt ~ Finished


My sewing for July got to a late and slow start... but it did start and I was able to finish a garment. This skirt is made from one of the oldest pieces of fabric in my stash. I purchased it, along with my very first pattern almost 15 years ago. No wonder it reminds me of the 90s.

The fabric is a synthetic that I purchased from Jo-Ann Fabrics and the pattern that I used is my favorite T and T (tried and true) Butterick B5917. 

Grey Striped Fabric and Butterick B5917 Pattern


It seems that I have put on some weight around the middle, so in making this I had to go up a half size from my usual 12. I accomplish that by cutting a size 14 and sewing the side seams larger than called for in the pattern. The fabric also made this size increase necessary because it clings and has no structure of its own. I wanted the skirt to drape nicely and hang, without being pulled or stretched.

The thing that I enjoyed the most about this project is the amount of hand sewing I was able to do. The only sewing done on the machine was the side seams and the center back seam. The zipper, darts, and all the finishing stitches were done by hand. I wasn't able to match the thread perfectly and I'm fine with that because it makes it easier to appreciate the handwork that went into it. 

Blind Hem Stitch by Hand

Flat Felled Side Seam by Hand

Hand Sewn Zipper

I hope you are having a fabulous summer  and an amazing time with your own sewing adventures.

Until next time,
Happy stitching!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comments.