March 29, 2014

30/30 Sewing Challenge - Wrap Up

I'm so glad that I joined the 30/30 Sewing Challenge because it has really encouraged me to get some sewing done. After dragging out my fabric stash and pairing up those pieces that popped out at me, I've been able to get more focused. Usually I like to jump into large projects that are really a bit over my head but this year things just weren't moving along as usual. So, I changed my plan of attack. I decided to focus on smaller, individual piece projects.

Here's what I accomplished this month:
  1. Super simple yellow knit top
  2. Black linen pencil skirt
  3. Geometric canvas bucket bag


The reason that I chose these projects is because of this image:


In addition to that I also made:


Amazingly enough, breaking my projects down and taking them one little piece at a time, without committing to the entire group all at once, has helped me accomplish my much bigger goal for the month... a complete outfit including accessories! I give credit to Sarah over at Berry Barn Designs for hosting the 30/30 Sewing Challenge and giving me that push I needed to get off my couch. :)

Unfortunately, I failed the challenge miserably. Not only did I not sew for 30 minutes for myself every day, I didn't get the first two items finished on my list. Lol, I didn't even make any progress on them.... or purchase the remaining supplies that I need to continue.

Oh well, I had a blast with the challenge anyway. I read about the progress of so many wonderful projects and saw the most amazing quilts. Some of the projects were so inspiring that I have decided to try some quilting myself. I don't think that I'll jump in with a king size bed quilt or anything but a nice applique pillow is doable, I think. ;)

I hope Sarah decides to have another challenge! Thanks so much Sarah and thanks to everyone else who stopped by and encouraged me in my own sewing adventures. :)

20 comments:

  1. Your work is gorgeous and you've finished a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you didn't quite get to sewing every single day, but still - look what you did get done! The outfit looks great with the bag - a whole ensemble that you made completely from scratch, Jessica. Great work! I hope you have as much success every month this year even without a challenge behind you : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, thanks Sarah! That's my monthly goal but your challenge IS what got me off the couch and behind the machine this month. I always do better with deadlines ..... Thanks for your great link-up and sewing challenge. :)

      Delete
  3. Way to be sewing for you regardless of sewing each day or not. Lovely completed projects for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the top outfit you put together, looks great. Maybe next month you can finish those other projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I think that other list has been relegated to the UFO pile for now. April is filled with other plans.... maybe they'll come back into the spotlight in May. Thanks for all of your encouragement. :)

      Delete
  5. Sorry you weren't able to sew each day but it's great to know you didn't just love in the towel! Nice job on your completed outfit and accessories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks..... love the tops you made. "Nice job" back at ya! :)

      Delete
  6. you made a whole new wardrobe so i would say you did not fail miserably

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, Thanks Sherry. I'm happy with what I made but I could have worked on those things from my list. :)

      Delete
  7. Beautiful work. I'm planning to make the cowl neck top (been wanting to make one forever) and the neck scarf (I enjoy wearing a bit of color at the neck). Each piece is very nice. Better to reach part of your goal than to not work toward one at all. ~Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement Isabella! I'm glad that my post could inspire you to make a few of these things as well. BTW - The top is so very easy. You'll do great! :)

      Delete
  8. Your finished projects turned out just gorgeous, Jessica. And you are such an inspiration to me! Sew glad you took part in the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Lorna. You make some incredible things too. I'm loving your jacket. :)

      Delete
  9. That's wonderful Jessica. In the end you did some beautiful work - there's no failing there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your encouragement Andree. :)

      Delete
  10. The yellow/black outfit looks gorgeous on you! Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments.