April 23, 2013

Peach/Nectarine Peplum Top!

I finally finished my top for the Pantone Color Contest at PatternReview.com. I'm really cutting this close. It's the 23nd and I only have until the 30th to finish my skirt and write 3 reviews. Wow, do you think I'll make it? I hope so.

So here is my new top.

The fabrics used for this peplum top is a peach (Nectarine for the sake of the contest) shirting. To tie the colors of the top and skirt together I went with a striped cotton voile, making it into a belt. The voile is lined, otherwise you'd never be able to see the stripes properly.

I'm happy with how it turned out. I did have some issues with making it. Mostly that I chose a poor fabric for the pattern. This thin shirting really doesn't have what it takes to hold the shape of this pattern. Oh well. It will get a lot of wear. Now I know for next time to use a heavier fabric.

The thing that I like the most about this pattern, NewLook 6130, is the sleeve treatment. That seems so silly because I wasn't originally planning on following the directions for that. As it turns out, I learned something new and love the technique. I think this will be something that I use a lot in the future.