February 11, 2017

Little Red Dress - January Outfit

Red and Gold Silk fabric, Patterns, and Notions
Butterick B5917
NewLook 6808


I was finally able to purchase my fabric and start on my little red dress project. The goal was to be finished before Valentine's Day. Well, it's done with time to spare. Hooray for a great start of this sewing year.

I use Newlook 6808 for the top (size 12) and Butterick B5917 (size 14) for the skirt portion. These two patterns go very well together. This time I even added the cap sleeves. See my first go at this dress here.

Closeup of the woven pattern in the silk fabric

The fabric is an amazing woven red and gold silk from Needle and Thread. The weave is a bit loose, making it important to have a lining. Unfortunately it reads as orange instead of a deep red. 

It was very easy to work with, only raveling a bit at the edges. It pressed and creased beautifully. I stitched the invisible zipper by hand as well as finishing the seams and hem, as usual. The lining is a muslin stitched in at the neck and sleeves. Not my first choice... but I was keeping a deadline. 

Cutting the lining


I purchased 2 yards but only used 1.5. So I have some fabric left over. What should I do with it? I could always make a little jacket or clutch??

This dress couldn't have gone together easier. I've made a formal pattern for myself and added it to my TNT (tried and true) pattern stash. 



I also made a Gold Leather Clutch as an accessory here.

I've already posted my goals for February (here). 

Until next time, 
Happy Stitching!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comments.