March 28, 2014

Geometric Bucket Bag

Check out my new bag.


I wanted a cinch-top, bucket bag that wasn't too big. I already have a huge shopper/tote/diaper bag, so something smaller was a high priority. To find the size that I wanted I got my wallet, keys, and a few other essentials and put them in a pile. Turns out that my pile fit pretty well on a bread plate.... and that's exactly what I used to draw the bottom piece for my bag. After that I just added sides and played around until I liked how tall it was.

This was the first time that I worked with grommets and I have to admit that I was scared Out Of My Mind to use them. I procrastinated on finishing this and even debated Not finishing because of how apprehensive I was about cutting holes in my canvas. I practiced on some scrap a few times to make sure I knew what I was doing. In reality, I didn't have anything to worry about. The grommets went in perfectly and took about 20 minutes. Silly me! Live and learn. :) (FYI - I used a hammer-set grommet kit from the craft store)

I love little details and there are three on this bag that I am very proud of. The first is that I made the cord out of scrap black linen (from my new skirt). Next, I cut squares from the design and used them for the cinch part (whatever that thing is called). Lol, that is where I fit in some hand stitching. I whip-stitched around the vertical edges and then straight stitched close to the edge, just to make sure it would be secure. Lastly I made a removable wrist strap and put a tab on the backside of the purse to attach it.

I'm not really finished with this bag but I'm going to count it as finished anyway. I am planning on adding 4 more grommets around the top but I need to make a trip to the store to pick them up. The other thing that I omitted was putting self-fabric cording around the bottom. I knew from the start that it would look better that way but for whatever reason, I didn't do it. I'll need to take the bag apart from the inside/bottom lining to do that.

Oh, I almost forgot. The bag is lined with a cute yellow floral. Here are the fabrics that I started with:



This project was featured on:

Judy's Handmade Creations

Threading My Way_Featured

36 comments:

  1. You certainly can't tell it's not finished, Jess! Looks great so far : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah. I'll use it like it is for now but it will get "fixed" very soon. :)

      Delete
  2. This is really cool! I love the fabric that you used and it looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great little bag! I love those drawstring bags - secure and compact.

    ReplyDelete
  4. super cute, i am afraid of grommets too, maybe I shouldn't be, but I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, those little buggers kept me from working on this bag for two days. I was so scared of messing up, I almost didn't finish it. I say, go for it! Don't let those bitty things stand in your way! :)

      Delete
  5. That's awesome to know that grommets aren't so scary, and I am so amazed that you designed this yourself, very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your post title had me imagining a little cotton drawstring bag, but WOW, your beautiful geometric bag is so professional. I enjoyed your description!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks Isabella for the amazing compliments! :)

      Delete
  7. Such a wonderful bag! Looks like it would go with any type of outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful bag--very interesting fabric, perfect!
    best from Tunisia,
    nadia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nadia. The fabric was just a piece of canvas in my scrap bag. I really have no idea where it came from. I probably picked it up from a fabric store remnant bin years ago. Lol. I do like how it turned out. Thanks again. :)

      Delete
  9. Way †o go Jessica! Your bucket bag turned out fabulous! Grommets are a bit scary the first time out,but they add so much to the bag. If you had not mentioned it I would never have guessed that it is not finished :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the vote of confidence CeLynn. The bag is useable... just not "perfect". :)

      Delete
  10. Great job - it looks pro, I'd buy it in a store!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks Danielle! That's a real compliment! :)

      Delete
  11. This is DA-BOMB! LOVE it! You really did a Fabulous job!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have been featured on Monday Handmade Linkup! Thank you for linking up. Have a wonderful week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy. It was such a great surprise when I jumped over to join your party and saw my bag featured!!! It really made my day. Thanks again. :)

      Delete
  13. Love the fabric and the style, Jessica. The tab you've used to cinch the bag is a great idea and looks good, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam. This was a fun project. I'm glad that you like it. :)

      Delete
    2. Featured today, Jessica...
      http://www.threadingmyway.com/2014/04/threading-your-way-features_26.html

      Delete
    3. Wow, thanks so much for the feature. :)

      Delete
  14. Fabulous bag! I'd love to see you join link up with us at the Inspire Us Thursdays! link party at www.theinspiredwren.com.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it! The shape, the fabric you used...everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Toodie. I had a lot of fun making it. :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for your comments.