August 01, 2013

Sewing For Children - Challenge

Well, I totally flopped on the Fabric Stash Contest so I'm not going to join the Sewing For Children Contest until I have my sewing done and ready to review. Since I'm not officially joining the contest, from the start, I figured that I would at least make it a personal challenge, just for motivation.

I'm going to use this as a Back To School sewing project and make at least one outfit for each of the children. That gives me one week to sew for each child. I'll just pick up where I left off on my "me-made" wardrobe next month with the Mini-wardrobe contest.

I know what I want to do for the boys. They both need new dress pants and I have two lengths of corduroy purchased for the purpose. I'm going to use a shorts pattern and just lengthen to give a nice deep hem. I like the looks of this pattern because the front waistband is flat and the back is elastic. I've never done elastic so I'm excited to be able to mark that off my list.

MCall's M6548
 
I'm also interested in making the boys some dress vests. I'm excited about this pattern but will have to look and see what fabrics I have.

Simplicity 4762 Vests and Ties
 
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I have several ideas in mind for my younger daughter. First off...

These cotton blends are so old. I purchased them to make skirts from and I will finally do just that. They were on my list for the Fabric Stash contest and didn't get touched. For my younger daughter, I should be able to make at least one dress from this stack and perhaps a coordinating piece as well. I really like the two tone dress and jacket from this pattern but I think that I will stick with the bottom option for this project.
 
Simplicity 2683
 
Then there is the matter of her purchasing this fabric
 
 
for this style top, that I happen to find a pattern for.
 
Simplicity 2689
 
We have already discussed making the belt in a denim from scrap blue jeans. I think it would look really dear with a jean skirt from this pattern
 
Simplicity 4669
 
She also wants the top and bottom from that pattern for pjs.
 
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
 
I'm making an outfit for my older daughter but it will not count for this contest, both because she is too old and because she is in adult sizes. I know that she wants a t-shirt made from this pattern
 
Simplicity 1808
 
in this fabric
 
 
so that shouldn't be very difficult. As far as what she wants to go with it, I have no idea. I'll just have to ask her. I'm sure that she will have something in mind.