June 19, 2017

My First Shirtdress

I have never really thought about making a shirtdress for myself. Mostly because I tend toward structured skirts and separates. A shirtdress is neither. However, thanks to Instagram I have been introduced to the #sewtogetherforsummer. It's titled "2017 Is The Summer Of The Shirtdress".

Shirtdress and Jeans


The rules are easy; make a shirtdress from any pattern, in any fabric. Then share on social media by June 21st. To be official you, of course, have to follow specific accounts and use the hashtag.

Looking at my pattern stash (I've posted most of it to Pinterest) there were two that jumped out at me.

 

The first was NewLook 6963. I was considering the sleeveless version. The second was a top that's been on my to-do list for some time. However, it didn't fit with the theme, since I want the top view. Then I realized that I had McCall's MP345. That pattern is actually a shirtdress.

McCall's MP345 Shirtdress Pattern &
Pretty Pink, Teal, and Brown Plaid Cotton Shirting

The pattern made up very quickly. The only fidgety part was the collar and front placket and they went together like a dream. I used size 16 (my current size is generally 14) because I wanted this to be a little roomy. The only alterations that I made were that I left off the collar and I didn't attach the belt at the side seams. Also, I didn't attach any buttons, instead I just stitched the front plackets together at a point that would allow me to pull the dress over my head and be modest enough to leave open.

The sleeves are from an entirely different pattern. I was originally going to use the cap sleeve from New Look 6808 because I know that I love the shape of that one. In the end, I decided to try something new so I used the sleeve from Simplicity 2917. I had just moved that pattern from my stash to my "to be made" pile and wanted to see how the sleeve laid. I'm on the fence about it. 

Finished Shirtdress with Belt

 The dress is extremely big and has no shape. I knew that going into this project, however. The one detail that surprised me was how high the hem is on the side. Since I'm more conservative in my dress, this is not going to work for me as a dress to wear in public. I could easily use it as a night shirt but I plan on slashing the front and extending the placket to the hem. I will also have to install a fastener, probably snaps. Once I've remade it, I can use it as a long shirt and wear it open with a tank top underneath and bottoms, of course
.
Finished Shirtdress without Belt

I finished the seams with my favorite seam treatment, flat felling. I did use the machine for top stitching instead of sewing it by hand. I used a teal thread to try and bring out the teal in the fabric.

Top Stitching In Teal Thread

I hope your sewing goals are becoming a reality.
Until next time,
Happy Stitching!!!

~*Let's Connect ~*~
~*~ FaceBook ~*~ Instagram ~*~ 
~*~ YouTube ~*Pinterest ~*~
~*~ BlogLovin' ~*~

Of all the dozens of pictures that we took. This is the best one.
Lol. It just really does nothing for a rectangle body shape.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comments.