July 30, 2015

30 Minutes A Day Challenge - Week 3



Last week I made a dress from Butterick B5917 and B5603, and used a fabric with no give. So I dove into my stash and came out with something I thought would work better for this mash-up. I bought it years ago at an on-line $2.00 fabric sale. It's a poly/cotton stretch bottomweight in sapphire. I honestly have no idea why I purchased it because I really have never had any plans for it.

For the skirt I used B5917 in size 12. I've used the skirt part of this pattern three times now and love it (here, here, and here).  For the bodice I used B5603, option A, and it was a bit tricky. It seems that I have a narrow back so I use the bodice back piece in size 14. I wanted the front to be blousey so I used a size 18. I didn't have enough fabric for the entire dress so I used a coordinating fabric from my scrap bag for the front bodice piece.

One struggle that I has was with the back darts. In the dress that I made last week I used a size 12 and took the darts out for it to fit into the skirt properly. The back fits beautifully in that dress. Thinking that I had the wrong size, I took a trip to the store and picked up the larger pattern size package. For this dress I used the size 14 and stitched the darts. They made the back gape open and I ended up pleating out the fabric to make it lay flat on my back. If I had had more fabric, I would have cut a new back piece in the smaller size and omitted the darts all together.

Also, I didn't face it, instead I pieced a bias strip and bound the neck and arm scythe. I think it worked much better using the print fabric since it has a softer hand. As an added bonus it matches my clutch purse from last year:

Violet Clutch Purse
Oh, how the time is flying by. I have one more week of 30 minutes a day sewing to complete my personal goal for this month and I still don't have a bathing suit. I should probably work on that but there are so many other great outfits that I could finish as well.... or maybe a new bag.... or sunhat?? I'll just have to dive into my stash and see what I come out with.

Happy Stitching!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comments.